Classic Cantonese restaurant, The Chairman, has been named The Best Restaurant in Asia in the Asia's Best Restaurants 2021 awards held this week.
The Chairman’s Cantonese cookery pays homage to old-world Hong Kong with half-curtains, dynasty chandeliers, and a split-level dining room, providing options of public or private dining. The restaurant takes pride in using locally sourced ingredients and a cooking style built on tradition.
Owner Danny Yip explains that the restaurant doesn't rely on gilding, extravagant service, or vast servings. It focuses instead on traditional recipes that use simple ingredients, served in an authentic Cantonese style.
"In Cantonese cooking, we believe less is more," said Yip.
"We aim out to bring out and enhance the original flavours; we try to create Chinese soul food rather than eye-candy."
Highly-recommended dishes include Steamed Flower Crab with Chinese wine served with Flat Noodle, Smoked Duck, and Chili Clams.
Sponsored by S. Pellegrino & Acqua Panna the ninth edition of the top 50 restaurants were revealed during a virtual awards ceremony. This year saw a record 11 first-time entrants make the list.
Another successful Hong Kong restaurant this year is Vea, which ranked 16th and also received this year's Gin Mare Art of Hospitality Award. Fu He Hui from mainland China came in 22nd and Macau's Wing Lei Palace returned to the rankings in 50th spot.
Other notable awardees include Ministry of Crab in Colombo ranks 29th, retaining the Best Restaurant title for Sri Lanka. Toyo Eatery at 49th retained The Best Restaurant in Philippines status for the third year.
Indian Accent at 18th was awarded Best Restaurant in India, while Masque in Mumbai, which last year won the One To Watch Award, made its list debut at 32nd.
Entering the ranks at 39th, Anan Saigon in Ho Chi Minh City is The Best Restaurant in Vietnam.
William Drew, director of content for Asia's 50 Best Restaurants, said the restaurant industry had faced extraordinary challenges during the past year.
"We are proud to support the restaurants in their recovery by showcasing the region's creative talents, celebrating the industry's pioneers and recognising culinary excellence," said Drew.
Here is the complete Top 50 list:
Asia's 50 Best Restaurants of 2021
*Marks new entry
- The Chairman, Hong Kong, China
- Odette, Singapore
- Den, Tokyo, Japan
- Le Du, Bangkok, Thailand
- Gaggan Anand, Bangkok, Thailand*
- Sühring, Bangkok, Thailand
- Florilège, Tokyo, Japan
- La Cime, Osaka, Japan
- Narisawa, Tokyo, Japan
- Mingles, Seoul, South Korea
- Sorn, Bangkok, Thailand
- Sazenka, Tokyo, Japan
- Les Amis, Singapore
- Burnt Ends, Singapore
- Mume, Taipei, Taiwan
- Vea, Hong Kong, China
- Neighborhood, Hong Kong, China
- Indian Accent, New Delhi, India
- L'Effervescence, Tokyo, Japan
- Nusara, Bangkok, Thailand*
- Raw, Taipei, Taiwan
- Fu He Hui, Shanghai, China
- Zén, Singapore
- Logy, Taipei, Taiwan*
- Belon, Hong Kong, China
- JL Studio, Taichung, Taiwan
- Ode, Tokyo, Japan
- Caprice, Hong Kong, China – Re-Entry
- Ministry of Crab, Colombo, Sri Lanka
- La Maison de la Nature Goh, Fukuoka, Japan
- Cloudstreet, Singapore*
- Masque, Mumbai, India*
- 8 1/2 Otto e Mezzo Bombana, Hong Kong, China
- 7th Door, Seoul, South Korea*
- Nihonryori RyuGin, Tokyo, Japan
- Born & Bred, Seoul, South Korea*
- Amber, Hong Kong, China
- Ta Vie, Hong Kong, China*
- Anan Saigon, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam*
- Labyrinth, Singapore*
- Euphoria, Singapore*
- Jaan by Kirk Westaway, Singapore
- Hansikgonggan, Seoul, South Korea
- Mono, Hong Kong, China*
- Shoun RyuGin, Taipei, Taiwan
- Gaa, Bangkok, Thailand
- Lung King Heen, Hong Kong, China
- Seventh Son, Hong Kong, China
- Toyo Eatery, Manila, Philippines
- Wing Lei Palace, Macau, China - Re-entry